Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help

Forum rules

Area for those who are learning the basics of computers and how they work. No question is too "dumb" or silly. Go ahead, ask! Someone here can help.

Area will be moderated to assure everyone is treated with respect.

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Graphics Card Dead?
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:17 am 

So, about a week ago, I was playing on Xbox Live. I looked over to my left and found that my XPS 630i had BSOD'ed for the first time. I really didn't think anything of it, so I just turned off the computer (holding the power button). I turned on my computer the next morning, everything was fine. For maybe 5 minutes, it BSOD'ed, I restarted the computer, and now, every time the computer starts, I get blue dots ALL OVER my screen during the Dell Splash Screen & Windows Boot Screen. These dots appear to go away once Windows Boots, but, I lost my resolution. I normally run 1920x1080, I can no longer do this. And I can no longer use Windows Aero. When the screen saver tries to run, it says "The screen saver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that's compatible with Direct3D. In device manager, it displays my 8800GT as a unknown device, when I double click it, it says that "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43)."

Does this mean that my Video Card is bad? Or is it something more? I plan on buying a new Graphics Card (Probably GTX460) & Windows 7 Ultimate. Will this fix the problems? Thanks.

Also, If my card is dead, please include an idiot proof guide regarding how to remove the g-card. I know you have to pop the little clip, then unscrew, but I'm afraid to pull the card, because it feels like it's somehow attached another way.... PLease Help Me.

-iamRS

640GB Seagate HDD (7200 RPM)
6GB RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium x64

WORST COMPUTER I'VE EVER OWNED
iamRS
(Multi-Colored Signature FTW!)

Post subject: Re: Graphics Card Dead?
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:37 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Steam ID: fasterrhoads
What you are describing sounds like the video card is on its last leg. You can try another video card if available just to be sure, but it sound like it's a goner.
As for removing it:
Push the black plastic clip, then remove the scew.
Look towards the GPU and you should see a white hook looking button towards the rear of the green slot.
Push on the white button and pull the GPU out.

New Case Coming: Intel Core i7 980-X @4.5GHz*EVGA X58 E770 Classified 3 Way*Corsair H100 4 Scythe Fans Push/Pull*Mushkin Redline 6GBs 1600Mhz*EVGA GTX 570SC*WD Velociraptor 600GB*Lamptron Fan Controller Touch*Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W Sleeved*Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate*

New O.C. 5.13.11

Previous CPU:

BIOS Templates

Supported PhysX Games
Click Here

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:55 pm 

Hey All,

(Sorry to post immediately without adding my signature or present myself => will do that this evening after work)

Well I have a similar issue on my 630i, when starting up the machine I see dots covering the interface (loading screen with Dell). When arriving on the screen where it loads the peripherals I see a lot of exclamation marks everywhere. Same goes for the BIOS screen and the words are well not written correctly anymore.

When the Windows loading screen shows up everything seems alright, but then the screen goes black. :cry: The most incredible thing is I can load windows in safe mode That is why I think the GPU is done for, but makes me wonder why the Bios screen is affected.

The used GPU is the Dual 8800GT (I promise I will post the complete spec as soon as I get home)

640GB Seagate HDD (7200 RPM) *2
Corsair TWIN 2x2048-6400C5C 4GB 800MHz C5 DDR2
Stock PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium x32

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:46 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Jexis wrote:
Hey All,

(Sorry to post immediately without adding my signature or present myself => will do that this evening after work)

Well I have a similar issue on my 630i, when starting up the machine I see dots covering the interface (loading screen with Dell). When arriving on the screen where it loads the peripherals I see a lot of exclamation marks everywhere. Same goes for the BIOS screen and the words are well not written correctly anymore.

When the Windows loading screen shows up everything seems alright, but then the screen goes black. :cry: The most incredible thing is I can load windows in safe mode That is why I think the GPU is done for, but makes me wonder why the Bios screen is affected.

The used GPU is the Dual 8800GT (I promise I will post the complete spec as soon as I get home)

Jexis, Welcome to the Forums!

Yes please post your sig with the hardware and OS. Hopefully we can get you straightened out.

New Case Coming: Intel Core i7 980-X @4.5GHz*EVGA X58 E770 Classified 3 Way*Corsair H100 4 Scythe Fans Push/Pull*Mushkin Redline 6GBs 1600Mhz*EVGA GTX 570SC*WD Velociraptor 600GB*Lamptron Fan Controller Touch*Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W Sleeved*Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate*

New O.C. 5.13.11

Previous CPU:

BIOS Templates

Supported PhysX Games
Click Here

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:00 pm 

Thanks mate!

Hehe was already working on it :-p

Thanks for looking into this, and although I just joined...well...I love you guys already...Finally talking with decent people that know their stuff (I am just a nab compared to you peeps)

Stock PSU

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:07 pm 

If your GPU is on its last legs, it would affect everything. Bios screen included.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:15 pm 

So that would explain the Floppy Disk Error (40), the dots everywhere and the exclamation marks.

Snif..

Ah well, better get to buy a new one I guess.

Any suggestions towards the upgrades? (MoBo, GPU, PSU -if necessary)
Thanks so much for the help!

Stock PSU

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:52 pm 

Floppy disk error? You have a floppy disk? It's strange you have exclamation marks on everything. Did your OS get hosed somehow?

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:40 pm 

Well I do not have a Floppy Disk, but the error states:

Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)
Audio Cable not connected

And I reinstalled the OS (complete Format), so I wouldn't think that either.

I really really do not know, as the comp was running fine so far.

Stock PSU

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:06 pm 

Well, I do know that you can go into bios and disable the floppy, and set the boot order to HDD first. Are you able to boot into dell diags? You should be able to if you haven't wiped out the factory partition. If you can, I'd run the diags on the mobo, video, and whatever else you can think of.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 pm 

Steam ID: KiLLLLeR150
Jexis wrote:
Hey All,

OMG, you have the same exact issue that I'm experiencing right now. I have colons all over the Dell logo screen, $$$ all over the BIOS screen (if I go into it) and a black screen at startup. I can't even stay on the computer for a period of time as the screen will glitch and only borders of windows are seen. Getting rid of my ATI Drivers eliminates the prior stuff, but now I can't play games (and the game get glitched with drivers and a BSOD follows anyway.) I'm using Dual ATI HD 4850s in CrossfireX.

My machine is still under warranty except I have Win 7 64-bit instead of Windows Vista 64-bit. Do you think Dell will help?

I posted this in another thread which can be deleted I guess.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4564

Dual ATI HD 4850s (Only 1 being used)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Stock Mobo, PSU, DVD Drives
750 GB HDD, stock
1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:22 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

KiLLeR wrote:
Jexis wrote:
Hey All,

OMG, you have the same exact issue that I'm experiencing right now. I have colons all over the Dell logo screen, $$$ all over the BIOS screen (if I go into it) and a black screen at startup. I can't even stay on the computer for a period of time as the screen will glitch and only borders of windows are seen. Getting rid of my ATI Drivers eliminates the prior stuff, but now I can't play games (and the game get glitched with drivers and a BSOD follows anyway.) I'm using Dual ATI HD 4850s in CrossfireX.

My machine is still under warranty except I have Win 7 64-bit instead of Windows Vista 64-bit. Do you think Dell will help?

I posted this in another thread which can be deleted I guess.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4564

Have tried to use one video card to see if you still get the problem?

New O.C. 5.13.11

Previous CPU:

BIOS Templates

Supported PhysX Games
Click Here

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:01 pm 

Steam ID: KiLLLLeR150
Yes, I took the card out of the primary slot and left the second card where it was. I've been on for almost 4 hours with the drivers installed with no problem. I've also played a few games for various amounts of time with no problem. Here's hoping it stays that way.

So most likely it's the video card that's the problem. It could be the Crossfire bridges, but I doubt it since I disabled Crossfire at one point and the screen still got glitched. Dell told me if "we found it to be defective they'll send a replacement" so I should have 2 working cards soon.

Just as a side note, when I played Metro 2033 on high, 1 card seemed to be as smooth as Crossfired cards... I never was sure if Crossfire ever did successfully work (despite seeing both cards have activity and get hot together.)

Dual ATI HD 4850s (Only 1 being used)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Stock Mobo, PSU, DVD Drives
750 GB HDD, stock
1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:10 pm 

Jexis wrote:
Well I do not have a Floppy Disk, but the error states:

Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)
Audio Cable not connected

And I reinstalled the OS (complete Format), so I wouldn't think that either.

I really really do not know, as the comp was running fine so far.

As for the floppy disk fail 40 error, Ive dealt with it too on my xps. Just hit f2 at splash screen and go to the Advanced tab, Integrated Peripherals, and where it says "Drive A" change this option to "NONE".

And no more error. :]

[ 14 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help