Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: For Those Upgrading To ASUS Boards.....*READ THIS*
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

As most of you all know, when upgrading the XPS 630i motherboard to an ASUS brand board, you have to "modify" the front panel connectors because ASUS does not use the standard front I/O panel pinout like every other manufacturer. For aftermarket cases, that is not an issue, as the front panel connectors are all seperate for the HDD LED, PWR Switch, etc. They look like this for those that do not know:

For cases like the XPS 630i, 730X, Alienware Area 51/Aurora, HP, etc they use a 5x2 pin header for their case, making it a bit of a hassle to upgrade to an ASUS board, since they make some of the nicest boards around. Here is a picture of the front panel connector on cases like Dell, HP, etc:

Now, a comparison between an ASUS front panel header on the motherboard, and a standard header that is found on all other boards:

ASUS:

Standard:

You can see how it will hook up to all other boards like EVGA, Gigabyte, etc without a problem, but how it can be a problem to just connect the regular connector in the case straight to the ASUS boards.....it just won't line up to all the pins. Normally, you would have to undo that connector and unpin each wire and hook the wires individually to ASUS motherboards. That is no longer needed.

I am in the middle of upgrading my Aurora's motherboard to an ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z (thanks to Drblahman for his suggestion :D). Knowing I needed to do this front panel mod, I went online to buy some of those headers (the individual PLED, HDD LED, etc) so my wires would not be exposed and touching each other. I found a cable that will eliminate the need to do all that work and the fear that some may have of doing this mod:

NZXT Single Sleeve Front Panel Connections Cable Set

They are also available on Amazon for the same price, for those that prefer that route.

It also acts as an extension at the same time, plus giving it a neater look with the black sleeving. I only wish they had this when I was doing my board upgrades in the 630i and 730x.

So anyone wanting to do a motherboard upgrade to an ASUS board that still has the XPS 630i, 730, 730x, Area 51, Aurora, or many HP cases, this is a great solution if you are not too tech savvy. It also saves a LOT of time and the risk of bending or breaking the pins. :D

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post subject: Re: For Those Upgrading To ASUS Boards.....*READ THIS*
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:32 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

This is awesome of you to revised the front panel mod fiasco :cool: Great job :bow:

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:39 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Thanks Doc. :D

I figured since you had showed me that ASUS Gene-Z board, I wanted to put that board in my rig instead of the rest of the mATX boards, but you know how the OEM cases are with the front panel wiring. :D

So I started to look for those little pin headers (PLED, HDD LED, etc) for when I "unpin" the rectangular block in my case, and I came across this. I knew it would not only make it easy on me, but on everyone else here that plans to upgrade to an ASUS board. Plus, it will make the inside of the case neater instead of all that colorful wiring. For only $8, I could not go wrong. :rofl:

I actually just received mine Friday, and to update, all the cables are seperate, meaning if there is a cable you do not want to use (like the speaker cable) you do not have to use it. Each is individually sleeved as well.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:58 pm 

Hi,

i am not sure if posting in this thread is the right way...but i try. Please let me know if it was wrong.
I bought a MSI X48C Platinum MoBo and i am note sure why the Power Button wont work. Does i need the same "Mod" you described here? Or wtf is going on?

Thx for ur Help.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:01 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

You have an MSI board, which does not require this. Only ASUS boards require it. :D

Not sure what is going on, but if you can make a new thread and post some pics of what you are doing and how everything is hooked up, maybe we can help out. :thumbup:

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 pm 

Hey man,

Thanks for posting, I actually just bought the Gene Z myself, along with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, wanted to ask you two questions, im installing the i5 2500k, given that this cooler is 159mm long, do you think I have enough space to fit it? Dell says the outer case dim is 195mm, that leaves 3.6cm or 1.4", assuming I lose a quarter inch on each side of the case im hoping that the remaining ~1" should give me enough clearance, given mobo mounts, thickness, cpu height?
Second how did the board fit and how did that cable work out for you?

My parts are on the way, just looking to double check everything will fit

Thanks,

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:17 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

The Gene-Z is an mATX board. Its not really meant for the XPS 630. I bought the Gene-Z for my Aurora which fits mATX boards. It should still work in the XPS 630i, but all the screw holes will probably not line up for the mounting.

Your case is meant for full ATX boards. And the cooler should fit fine, many people are using that cooler inside the 630i case. The cables should work perfectly. Just use either the mod 1 or mod 2 guide here to figure out which pins are which. Then instead of taking the pins apart from the connector, just plug in those NZXT pins into the connector to act as an extension.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:53 am 

Hey,

Thought i would let you know that all went well, im still waiting on the cables to show up in the mail but have since designated the power button on my keyboard as the on and off switch, works pretty good.

PC Mark Score on the Maximus Gene Z , i5 2500k and Corsair Force GT180 was ~4800, oh thats with a GTX 280, im also waiting on my HD6850 :)

This maximus board was really well laid out all the connector cables managed to get to where i needed them, except of course for the power led etc.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:04 am 

for the Canadians on here who are having difficulties getting these cables without paying $15 in shipping..... ebay/amazon etc

go here you can buy single cables (non sleeved) and get free shipping

http://www.frontx.com/store/order_ad.html

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:24 pm 

I'm upgrading to an ASUS board and I'm having a little problem understanding how exactly to mod these front I/O cables, could someone give me a step-by-step? Or maybe even a video? I haven't been able to find one. It would be greatly aprreciated :)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:15 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

TyleRage wrote:
I'm upgrading to an ASUS board and I'm having a little problem understanding how exactly to mod these front I/O cables, could someone give me a step-by-step? Or maybe even a video? I haven't been able to find one. It would be greatly aprreciated :)

If you do not understand the diagrams from the first post in this thread, I strongly advise you to pm m3th0d1c4l :)

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:14 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

TyleRage wrote:

If you buy that wire kit linked above, its pretty self explanatory once you see the cables. They have long needle like ends that insert into the header (big black square header in top picture) which basically separate all those cables within that black header. Then you freely connect them to the front panel connector on your board. The reason we need to separate the cables is because the layout of that black header does not match ASUS board front panel connectors. By separating them, you can individually connect each wire, not being restricted to that black header.

If you are not too computer saavy and still have trouble understanding, I would recommend a friend who is experienced with computers to give you a hand. It is really quite simple. :D

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:09 am 

Hi I have finally figured out how to plug the front connector to my asus mobo.

In case anyone is wondering it is cable 8 on the dell 630i. I had been trying to plug it into the firewire header! lol.
I had tucked it underneath the dvd drive and only spotted it just now. It was hiding from me the cheeky bugger.

well hears a pic of the cable header

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121559924 ... otostream/

and another connecting to the motherboard

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121559924 ... otostream/

its abit messy i know. but i'm quite new to this, and felt i needed to post it up for people like myself. lol

Also just so people will know right away when you hold the header the blanked of pin on the left it will be on the top. Rather than the usb and and firewire which when you hold it with pin 10 on the left the (blanked off one) is on the bottom.

then by following these instructions you cant go wrong.

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
The header itself is a 2x5 layout. The pin that is blocked off is pin 10. While holding the header with Pin 10 on the left, the ones in the same row are in this order: 10 8 6 4 2.
The row above, starting with Pin 9 above Pin 10: 9 7 5 3 1.

Power Button + = pin 6
Power Button - = Pin 8

HDD LED + = pin 1
HDD LED - = pin 3

PC LED + = pin 2
PC LED - = pin 4

Well hope this helps. I had been stumped with this for a couple of days lol.

[ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion